Winter squash and Stilton creamy soup with Brussel sprout
- Cut the top of each squash so it forms a nice lid and scoop the insides out. Discard the seeds and reserve the flesh. Blanch the whole hollow squashes in salty water for a few minutes. Drain and reserved.
- In a large thick saucepan, melt the butter and sweat the onions, garlic and shallots on a medium heat. Add the chicken stock, the cooked diced potato and the flesh of the squash.
- Bring to simmer and cook for 20 to 25 minutes. Add half of the Stilton and blitz with a hand blender. Pour the double cream at the end and season to taste.
- Shallow fry face down the squash “cup” to give them a bit of colour.
- Fill up each squash with the hot soup and garnish with blanched brussel sprout leaves, the remaining crumbled Stilton and a pinch of cracked black pepper.
4 winter squash (round and orange variety)
80g Stilton cheese
8 Brussel sprouts
½ clove garlic, diced
1 medium white onions, diced
1 shallots, diced
30g unsalted butter
500ml chicken stock
1 cooked baking potato, diced
100ml double cream
2 pinches ground nutmeg
2 pinches table salt
1 pinch white ground pepper
1 pinch cracked black pepper