The famous "Croque Madame"...or Bite Madame!
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the flour. Mix and let cook the “roux” for a minute, then add the milk and half of the grated Gruyere cheese.
- Wisk slowly about 5 minutes until your obtain a béchamel not too liquid, season to taste with salt, pepper and ground nutmeg.
- Spread half of the Béchamel sauce on 4 slices of bread, place one slice of ham, spread more béchamel on the ham and close with the other slice of bread.
- Pour the remaining of the Béchamel sauce on top of your 4 croque Madame and spread evenely, add the remaining Grated gruyere cheese on top of each one and cook in a very hot oven for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and fry the eggs.
- Arrange the eggs on top of each Croque Madame.
8 slices of Bread
4 slices of your favourite ham
150g grated Gruyere cheese
30cl semi skimmed milk
4 free range eggs
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 pinch ground nutmeg
2 pinch table or rock salt
1 pinch cracked black pepper