Get a Taste
Plum tart “French version”
The sweet pastry
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, caster sugar, butter (cut into small pieces), salt and baking powder.
- Mix until is become “sandy” and the butter is all incorporated. Add the eggs and bond the dough together, making sure you don't overwork. Let rest for a few hours.
- Roll the sweet pastry into a tart mould or a metal circle ring, cover with a baking paper and fill with dry beans or cooking stones.
- Bake in the oven at 180C for 15 to 20 minutes. Once ready, remove the beans and let cool down.
- In a bowl, mix together the crème fraiche, double cream, eggs, caster sugar and vanilla essence.
- Slice the plums into two and remove the stone.
- Arrange the plums in the part-cooked tart and fill up with the cream.
- Bake in the oven at 180C for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let cool down, remove from the mould or the ring and dust with icing sugar before serving.
Serve warm with a dust of icing sugar and an almond flavored “ crème Anglaise” or English custard.
For the filling
800g fresh plums
175g crème fraiche
75g double cream
2 medium eggs
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
Icing sugar (for dusting)
For the sweet pastry
250g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
2g baking powder
1 pinch table salt
Makes a tart for 5 to 6
Please do use ripe plums! The fruits will be full of flavor and cook very well if they are ready to eat.